Buying make-up for someone else is really difficult but it can be done with clever buying and maybe a bit of sneakiness. If you are too scared to buy actual make-up then I’ve put some brushes and other things below which are fantastic too.
My husband has a tendency to panic-buy things whilst out Christmas shopping, if you do this to then my advice is to go somewhere with a lot of counters (Selfridges, House of Fraser, Debenhams) find someone on a make-up counter who's make-up you like and ask them what they'd recommend. Remember you don't have to buy it though!
If you are brave enough to buy a foundation (remember you won’t be able to return it once it’s opened) then a bit of spying on what make-up they own already will help. Look at all the foundations they own and write down the brand, the name of the foundation and the colour (so for example MAC, Face and Body, N20). The brand and the name should be obvious, the colour which may be a number, will be on the bottom or the back. If in doubt take pictures on your phone. Any make-up counter worker worth their salt should be able to match you a colour if you take them these details.
- Real Techniques – even if your make-up addict has brushes I find I can’t have enough. Real Techniques brushes are easy to find (in Boots and online) and are not going to break the bank. I really recommend the Core Collection, the Starter Kit and the Expert Face Brush.
- EM-J Company – Everything you could possibly want if you are a professional make-up artist but also lovely personal brush wraps. I’m a huge Jiminy fan myself but there is really is something for everyone in these designs.
- Rimmel ScandalEyes Shadow Stick – Eye shadow pencils are the latest trend and these are a great budget buy/stocking filler. Available in lots of lovely colours very long lasting considering the price. I have Bluffing which would suit all eye colours. .
- CharlotteTilbury – there are more suggestions on my ‘What I’d Like’ recommendations but from what I've tried these are my top two. Filmstar Bronze & Glow – this suits all skin tones I’ve tried it on. The packaging is fabulous and would be a real treat for anyone who’s into make-up. Make-up Bag – this would be a lovely stocking alternative, stocking filler or present. I don’t have one of these by my god I want one.
- Urban Decay Naked Palette – I love this palette (and all the Naked Palettes) but for me it’s the original here that is the best to give as a gift for sheer variety of colours so something for everyone.
- Diorskin Star Fluid Foundation – If you are brave enough then this is a beautiful foundation that would make a lovely present (festively named!). It’s quite a full coverage so only get this for someone if they are a wearer of foundation!
- Too Faced Cat Eyes Palette - some really gorgeous colours for those who love a bit of drama wet and dry formulas, matte and shimmer this is incredibly versatile with one of my absolute favourite gold/bronze shimmers from any palette.